Friday, February 12, 2010

Purchasing products

Electrical goods - know your rights
At the Electrical Safety Council we recommend consumers are aware of their rights, with regard to the purchase of any electrical product. By law the goods must be of satisfactory quality, fit for their intended purpose and as described. Below are some top tips to bear in mind:
If you have only used the electrical product a few times - you are probably entitled to a refund, alternatively you may request a replacement.
If the fault is only minor and can easily be put right - it is reasonable to accept a repair. This won't stop you from claiming a replacement or refund if the repair is unsatisfactory.
When goods cannot be replaced or repaired in reasonable time - you may claim a refund. If the faulty goods have damaged anything else you own or you are out of pocket you may be entitled to compensation.
If you are entitled to a refund, replacement, repair or compensation, it is the trader who must sort out your problem. The trader cannot tell you to go back to the manufacturer.
Points to consider :
•If your purchase was made on credit you may be able to claim against the finance company.
•You have seven working days to cancel a contract for goods ordered by telephone, mail order, internet or fax, except for those goods which are made to order.
•All electrical goods need to be used for their intended purpose and looked after in line with any instructions.
•Fair wear and tear is not a fault.
If things go wrong:
If there is a problem with the electrical goods you have purchased, the Electrical Safety Council would recommend you do the following.
•Stop using the item at once.
•Check there actually is a fault by reading the instructions carefully.
•Collect up any instructions, leaflets, packaging etc which came with the goods. Pack them up with the goods.
•Locate your proof of purchase. If you haven't got a receipt, you can use a credit card voucher or cheque stub. Remember - it is up to you to show where and when you bought the goods.
Should you experience difficulty in resolving your problem, or you believe you have purchased an unsafe product, you can contact consumer help organisations such as Trading Standards.

No comments: